Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A goal accomplished

On January 12, 2013, Crossfit Spearhead's doors were open. After years of dreaming to open his own gym, my older brother Dallin finally did just that. I have loved learning what Crossfit is all about, and then putting that into action. I hardly see progression in myself when I try new workouts, but this time its different.

Dallin had all of his gym members make individual goals to accomplish by the date you assign. After thinking about my goal for quite sometime, I finally decided with this: "Prescribe a workout by June 15, 2013." Well "prescribing" might be confusing to some people, so let me explain. Dallin will set a weight/form for all men and women per workout. For example, if the workout for the day is 20 dead lifts, he might set the weight as 100 pounds for women, and 150 pounds for men. Another example is if the workout involved pull-ups, one would have to do however many regular pull-ups with no modification. Starting as a beginner, I could never actually do a workout how Dallin prescribed it, so that is where my goal derived from. On June 4, 2013 I decided to try and accomplish my goal.

The workout for that day was 3 rounds of: 400 meter run, 21 kettle bell swings @35 pounds for women, and 12 pull-ups.

When starting the workout, I knew that the run would be when I "rested", the kettle bell swings would be when I caught up to people, and the pull-ups would be the hardest and slowest move of the three. And that's just how it was. I was out of breathe, my hands were bleeding, and my muscles were exhausted. With the encouragement of my brother and my fellow gym members, I accomplished my goal and finished with the longest time of the day. Yes, I actually did 36 pull-ups! No, I have no idea how. I was proud of myself and extremely overjoyed to look back and see my personal progression.

Having said all of that, I need a new goal! I have listed my top five goals in a survey at the bottom of my blog, so tell me what you think. Oh and before I forget, the deadline I have assigned for my new goal is August 21... The day I leave for my mission.

xoxo, McCall Rose