Monday, April 8, 2013

hey, hey, hey... goodbye

it is so weird to be saying goodbye to a school that i went to! not only me but all of my siblings, all of my aunts and uncles and my parents.

the sad thing though is that i hardly even went to school... so i shouldn't be that sad about it right? most teachers weren't too fond of me... I was loud, late, asked a lot of questions, texted during class, and embarrassed them to get my classmates to laugh. welllllll actually the teachers that shared my diet coke addiction with me liked me (coach whitehead, coach burt, coach barnes.... hey there is a pattern there). i cursed the school when i had to be there everyday at 5:45a for drill practice. i could not wait to graduate and get the heck out of that smelly ancient piece!

so the question is... why am i even sad its going?

welllllllll it was good for a few things...

+i made some of my best friends in the halls of that high school. passing notes, skipping class, going to dances, hanging out late, cramming for tests, going out to lunch, and sneaking out. i am lucky enough to still love these people that i was able to meet. they are those friends that you can go a few weeks or months without talking to and then when you see them its like they've never even been away. those friends that make you laugh until you pee your pants. those friends that have your back in everything. those friends that you want in your wedding party. and those friends that you want your kids to call aunt or uncle so-n-so, even though you aren't related.
+i learned that hard work pays off. three years of drill team isn't as easy as some people think. yeah sure, it was funny to watch the girls with slicked back hair in those funny looking jump suits during half time at the basketball games. but what people don't understand is that when you are drenched in sweat, frustrated and exhausted you form a special bond with the girls you are sharing the floor with. i like to call them my sisters.
+i realized that life should never be taken for granted. the summer going into my senior year, one of my dearest friends, Sophie Rose Barton, passed away. It threw me and whole friend group for a loop. I have never felt so much sadness in my life. But yet again, i learned so much. It taught us to love more, speak kinder, make better choices, be there for one another, work harder, pray more frequently, laugh louder, but most importantly to live like today is your last.
+lastly, it taught me what a legacy is. I will never forget walking down the hall from Chip Hopkins room towards the office and looking at all the panoramic pictures from 1952-2011. Or performing at the homecoming football game and seeing the stands packed not only with parents, but with supporting alumni. People who go to Olympus, my class in particular (sorry people.. but you all know it), have a special spirit about them... as dumb as that sounds. I was lucky enough to be apart of a graduating class containing more than 80 kids that are and will be serving full-time missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Everyone that graduates from Olympus, especially my class, will leave some type of footprint somehow and somewhere.... i just know it!

so in memory of the old school... lets all lift up our voices, remembering mrs belnap and join in on the school song:

Here at Olympus where the Titans grow,
You’re gonna find yourself on winners row.
There’s not another can half compare,
If you’re not from Olympus, You’re from nowhere.
Mighty as Hercules we take our stand,
Winning each vict’ry with an iron hand.
We’re gonna soar to the sky Olympus
We know we can if we try. Rah! Rah! Rah!
Hail Olympus!
Proudly we all salute you.
Named from our mountain grand,
Rugged and strong you stand.
Hail Olympus!
Holding aloft your colors,
Hear now our battle cry,
Long Live Olympus High!


that was a fun little walk down memory lane. who even knew those were the words? All i remember is the rah rah rah part and the hail olympus. lolz.

well lets continue that little stroll for a minute while i reveal to you my embarrassing yet very real pictures from those three unforgettable years....













































so long oly, its been real. 
xo,
McCall Rose