Monday, May 6, 2013

The Paleo Diet

I must be crazy! I have never been one to stick with diets. I will try eating no sugar or try the no soda thing but after a little while I always give in. Well, hopefully this time is different.

My brother, Dallin, owns a Crossfit gym near my house called Crossfit Spearhead. I love working out and have been lucky enough to enjoy it at his gym for free. Well this week, my brother challenged all of his members to try out The Paleo Diet. What is The Paleo Diet you must ask? And I am here to tell you...


"The Paleo diet is the healthiest way you can eat because it is the ONLY nutritional approach that works with your genetics to help you stay lean, strong and energetic! Research in biology, biochemistry, Ophthalmology, Dermatology and many other disciplines indicate it is our modern diet, full of refined foods, trans fats and sugar, that is at the root of degenerative diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, depression and infertility." – Robb Wolf

The idea behind Paleo is that we eat like the cavemen ate. We eat all natural and nothing processed. No sugar, grains, dairy or processed fats. Crazy right? Well this blog is going to be my journal on my successes and failures that I come across during this diet. I am going to blog about physical changes that I see, the way that the diet makes me feel, new recipes that I am trying and my overall health progress. Some might ask, What can you actually eat? And here is the list....

1. FRUIT
2. LEAN MEATS
3. VEGETABLES
4. SEAFOOD
5. NUTS & SEEDS
6. HEALTHY FATS (olive oil, avocado)

I will be staying away from...

1. DAIRY
2. GRAINS
3. PROCESSED FOODS & SUGAR
4. LEGUMES
5. STARCHES
6. ANY LIQUID OTHER THAN WATER

I am sure that I will slip up a time or two. Having said that, for everything "slip up" I owe my brother 30 burpees at the gym. If you don't know what burpees are, be grateful. They are my worst nightmare. I do not plan on eating this way to solely look better, but to feel better. I want to be able to become a stronger, leaner, meaner version of me!


I am starting at 133lbs. I am pledging to eat Paleo for at least one month. (June 6)  I am also making it a goal to work out at least 3 times a week. (Between school and work it gets a bit hectic to fit in a work out but I am going to do it!)



Wish me luck, because I will surely need it.

xx, McCall Rose